- ASEAN started with the members – Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, and Singapore
- Established on 8th August 1967 -Bangkok, Thailand.
- Others who joined in order-Brunei, Vietnam, Laos and Myanmar, Cambodia.
- ASEAN as a group is 6th largest economy with 4.4 million hectares and 3.3 percent in land.
- ASEAN Infrastructure Fund: For funding infrastructure from 2011 to 2020.
- The ASEAN economic community blueprint 2025 overwrites its previous AEC and addresses in areas like non-trade barriers and trade in services.
ASEAN Summit 2017:
- 31st summit in Manila, Philippines.
- Theme-Parting for change engaging the future.
- 15th Indian ASEAN summit and RCEP took place during the Summit
- Kaladana project in Myanmar-India promised to help building it.
- MODI gave 2 rice seed varieties to INTERNATIONAL GENE bank to International RICE research INSTI to reduce global hunger.
- ASEAN has played a crucial role of contributing to political and economic stability in the region.
- India signed a FTA in goods in 2009 and an FTA in services and investments in 2014 with ASEAN.
- India has a Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (CECA) with various countries of the ASEAN region which has resulted in concessional trade and a rise in investments.
- Two decades of the Look East Policy, now renamed as Act East Policy by the government, have brought some positive results for India in making ASEAN an important regional partner.
- ASEAN Countries see India as an alternative to the growing disturbances in South China Sea.
- Members have failed to negotiate on Declaration on the Conduct of the Parties in the South China Sea.
- They have 10 different tax systems in place.
Venue of 2018 ASEAN summit: Singapore
ASEAN’s official website: