Aspirants often ask for Complete Booklist for Civil Services Prelims and Mains Exam Preparation. This post will answer your question. We created this list after a deep analysis of syllabus with last year questions and taking suggestions from experienced teachers (Teaching in various coaching Institute) and inputs from toppers strategies. Here you will find subject wise booklist, you can click on the links and buy the latest edition of any book on discounted price or you can also buy these books from any bookshop but make sure that you are purchasing newer edition.
Note:- Books with the red color link are most of the most important. You must have these 4 books from the very first day to last day of your preparation.
One Book for all Subject
- NCERT Books Set for UPSC Exam
- IAS Prelims 23 Years General Studies Topic-Wise Solved Papers – Disha.
- Arihant General Studies Manual Paper-1 by Manohar Pandey OR
- General Studies For Civil Services Preliminary Examination – by McGraw Hill.
Books for CSAT
Essential History Books for IAS Exam
- Old NCERT for Class X – The Story of Civilization Part 2 by Arjun DevHistory Of Modern India – Bipan Chandra.
- Old NCERT for Class XII,
- ‘History of Modern India’ by Bipin Chandra,
- India’s Struggle for Independence by Bipin Chandra
- ‘Plassey to Partition’ by Sekhar Bandopadhyay. (Read it if you have enough time)
- India’s Ancient Past by R. S. Sharma
- History Of Medieval India – Satish Chandra.
Strategy and how to read books: How to Study Indian History for IAS Exam
Essential Art & Culture Books for IAS Exam
- Class X NCERT (old) -The Story of Civilization, Part 2, by Arjun Dev: Ch. 14 – The Heritage of India
- Class XI NCERT: An Introduction to Indian Art 1
- NIOS – Secondary Course: Indian Culture and Heritage
- Online portal– Centre for Cultural Resources and Training
- A visit to National Museum, Delhi
- he Wonder That Was India – A.L. Bhasham.
- India’s Ancient Past by R. S. Sharma
Strategy and how to read books: How to Study Art & Culture for IAS Exam
Essential Geography and Environment Books for IAS Exam
- Class IX NCERT: Contemporary India Part-I
- Class X NCERT: Contemporary India Part-II
- Class XI NCERT: Fundamentals of Physical Geography
- Class XI NCERT: Indian Physical Environment
- Class XII NCERT: Fundamentals of Human Geography
- Class XII NCERT: India, People, and Economy
- Certificate Physical and Human Geography by Goh Cheng Leong
- Oxford University Press
- School Atlas by any good publisher like Oxford University Press, Orient Longman, DK etc.
- Geography of India – Majid Husain.
Environment & Ecology – A Dynamic Approach by Neeraj Nachiketa
Strategy and how to read books: How to Study Geography for IAS Exam
Essential Economy Books for IAS Exam
- Economics NCERT of Class IX.
- Class IX NCERT,
- Class X NCERT
- Class XI NCERT – Indian Economic Development
- Class XII NCERT of Introductory Macroeconomics
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh
Strategy and how to read books: How to Study Economy for IAS Exam
Essential Indian Polity Books for IAS Exam
- NCERT of Class IX, Democratic Politics-I.
- Class X NCERT, Democratic Politics-II
- NCERT textbook of Class XI, titled Indian Constitution at Work.
- M Laxmikanth (Indian Polity)
- D.D. Basu (Introduction to the Constitution of India)
- Class XI Indian Constitution at Work
Strategy and how to read books: How to Study Indian Polity for UPSC Exam
Science and Technology Book
This one book is sufficient and designed for IAS Exam Syllabus, we strictly suggest you do not read any other book.
Additional Must-Have Books for IAS Mains Examination
Note:- Buy these books if you have completed prelims syllabus once
All the books for prelims exam overlay with booklist for mains exam but in mains exam there are some additional topics/subjects which should be read by following books.
It will consumes a lot of time if you study world history from any so teachers suggest World History Notes from any good coaching institute but we suggest you to have notes from 2 different coaching institute to be safe
- Class XI NCERT: Introducing Sociology
- Class XI NCERT: Understanding Sociology
- Class XII NCERT: Indian Society
- Class XII NCERT: Social Change and Development in India
- Class XII NCERT: Fundamentals of Human Geography (FOHG)
- Class XII NCERT: India, People, and Economy (IPE)
- NIOS – Senior Secondary Course in Sociology
- NIOS –Secondary Course in Social Science
- Keeping track of related articles in The Hindu, Yojana etc.
Strategy and how to read books: How to Study Society Section for IAS Exam
Foreign Policy / International Relations
Pax Indica– Sashi Tharoor
- C. Rajamohan, Rajiv Sikari, and David M. Malone
- IGNOU modules
- websites of MEA along with the ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs, Ministry of Commerce and Ministry of Environment.
- Class XII “Contemporary World Politics”
Strategy and how to read books: How to Study International Relations for IAS Exam